Building Update 5-25-2020

Posted by Erika

It has been well over a year since we posted anything about all of the shenanigans going on here at Elderwood Farms. I honestly don’t know where to begin. Things around here have drastically changed on multiple levels since September of 2018. So I will stick to the pole barn today.

We left off with getting the concrete poured for the poles back in November of 2018. It really doesn’t seem like it was that long ago. With help from some amazing friends we managed to get the roof up in time for the first heavy snow.

Then we worked hard to get the back wall panels up before the temperatures dropped too much. We wanted to keep going but handling metal siding in freezing temperatures is not a good combination. After getting two panels up on one of the ends of the pole barn we opted to ride out the rest of winter and complete the rest once everything thawed.

One project that was completed close to the end of winter was getting a washer and dryer hooked up. We had acquired this unit from a government auction website. The only thing wrong with it was that it needed a new dryer belt. My spouse used an old pressure tank we found by the old well house and came up with a water system making it so we could do our laundry at home for the first time in too long.

Spring/Summer 2019:

This is from a morning walk in Spring 2019.

Once Spring arrived we enjoyed the arrival of warmer weather and a plethora of wildflowers.

This is when a majority of the work on the pole barn happened. With the help of some friends we found someone to come pour us a floor, and they helped us get the rest of the metal siding up. After all of this, we got to have an electrician come in and wire up the barn, which has been a game changer.

Fall/Winter 2019:

One of the last things we have completed inside the pole barn was having a fireplace installed. Thanks to that fireplace, we were able to have a comfortable living space beyond the camper this winter. And with having six kids… that was huge for us.

The most recent project to our barn was adding an awning over the man door. We had remembered the icicles that formed on the roof the previous winter. They were impressive and dangerous. This winter we needed to make sure that we all could go outside and not have to worry about the kids getting impaled. It took us a while to come up with a plan of how to attach it to the barn but in the end we are so glad we did this.

Stay tuned for an update on our house build…

Related Post

%d bloggers like this: